By Benjamin Wiker
These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have ended in warfare, genocide, totalitarian oppression, relations breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And but those authors' undesirable rules are nonetheless renowned and pervasive--in truth, they may impression your individual pondering with no your knowing it. right here with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new e-book, 10 Books That Screwed Up the realm (And five Others that did not Help), he seizes every one of those evil books through its malignant middle and exposes it to the sunshine of day. during this witty, discovered, and provocative exposé, you are going to learn:
* Why Machiavelli's The Prince was once the foundation for an extended record of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)
* How Descartes' Discourse on procedure "proved" God's life in simple terms through making Him a production of our personal ego
* How Hobbes' Leviathan resulted in the assumption that we've got a "right" to no matter what we want
* Why Marx and Engels's Communist Manifesto may perhaps win the award for the main malicious ebook ever written
* How Darwin's The Descent of guy proves he meant "survival of the fittest" to be utilized to human society
* How Nietzsche's past stable and Evil issued the decision for a global governed completely by means of the "will to power"
* How Hitler's Mein Kampf used to be one of those "spiritualized Darwinism" that bills for his genocidal anti-Semitism
* How the pansexual paradise defined in Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Samoa grew to become out to be a construction of her personal sexual confusions and aspirations
* Why Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male was once easily autobiography masquerading as science
Witty, surprising, and instructive, 10 Books That Screwed Up the realm deals a brief schooling at the worst rules in human history--and how we will keep away from them within the future.
Read or Download 10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help PDF
Similar books & reading books
Bachelorarbeit aus dem Jahr 2012 im Fachbereich Buchwissenschaft, Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Schriftvermittlung. Schrift. Schriftbild. HandschriftDie Vermittlung von Schrift und handschriftlichem Schreiben spielt eine zentrale Rolle in der Schule. Fragen rund um die Schrift und deren Vermittlung an Kinder beschäftigen Wissenschaftler in unterschiedlichen Disziplinen wie Pädagogik, Linguistik, Didaktik und Psychologie.
Instructing info Fluency describes the abilities and inclinations of data fluency adept searchers. Readers will obtain in-depth details on what it takes to find, review, and ethically use electronic details. The e-book realistically examines the skills of web searchers this present day by way of their potency and effectiveness to find on-line details, comparing it and utilizing it ethically.
Phyllis Webb is a poet round whom archetypes are likely to cluster: the reclusive artist; the distraught, borderline suicidal Sapphic lady poet. whereas at the floor she turns out supremely disinterested within the public sphere, argues Stephen Collis during this get together of her paintings, Webb is not any family, as a writer or a critic.
This assortment focuses awareness on theoretical techniques to commute writing, with the purpose to enhance the discourse. across the world well known, in addition to rising, students determine a severe milieu for go back and forth writing stories, in addition to provide a suite of exemplars within the software of thought to shuttle writing.
- Information and Digital Literacies: A Curricular Guide for Middle and High School Librarians
- Arthur of England: English Attitudes to King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance (Heritage)
- The Future of the Page (Studies in Book and Print Culture)
- Spanish Female Writers and the Freethinking Press, 1879-1926: (Toronto Iberic)
- Latin American Readings for a Cultural Age: Latin American Readings for a Cultural Age (New Directions in Latino American Cultures)
- Stranger at the Door: Writers and the Act of Writing
Extra resources for 10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help
10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help by Benjamin Wiker